Thursday, July 15, 2010

Dutch Tears!

On the day of the World Cup final, I showed my jewelry at the South End Open Market (SOWA) in the South End.

I was neighbor to the sweetest woman, Christine, who created and owns this absolutely wonderful company, Bite. I picked up 9 bags from her and plan to use them for the first time today when I pick up my CSA box from our super local Allandale Farm. If you're in the market for reusable produce bags, check out Christine's work... I love her eye for enviro-friendliness as well as cute patterns on her bags!

For the long day in the scorching heat, I was fortunate to have my good friend, Carla, helping me show and sell my wares. Carla happens to be Dutch. Carla happens to LOVE to talk to people.

Carla must have stopped about FOURTY people who were wearing any hint of orange (the Dutch national color) that day. Even folks who were wearing coral or salmon-colored outfits - "Are you rooting for the Dutch today?" She makes friends so easily and it is always a happy time when I'm with her.

Carla's happiness (which always of course, rubs off on me), sadly, wasn't enough for the Dutch National Team to come up with a win that day. What's so appropriate is that the block we were on in the South End invited the biggest rain storm that I've ever seen at an outdoor market!



The weirdest thing was that not more than 20 minutes after it passed, new market shoppers came by the booth, claiming that they had no idea that it was raining earlier. They all said that they were just a few streets away or they were just parking their car when the rain storm happened, and that it was clear skies by them. I have never heard of such a mystery (with the exception of any mystery I've seen on Robert Stack's creepy late 80s/early 90s television show).


Bye bye flip flop!

When the rain subsided, the market was as bustling as ever and it was yet another GREAT day at the SOWA market. I hope to your shining face very soon at my next show, July 28 from 11am - 3pm in Government Center, city of Boston-sponsored Arts on the Arcade!

No comments: