Saturday, April 10, 2010

30 Days

What an incredible show! I just saw one of the many shows in the series, so I'm making a huge assumption, but I just watched the episode of living among Muslims for 30 days... breath taking. I was in tears at several points during the show, reflecting on our incredible and everlasting need for compassion, aproaching each other as one of our own and recognizing similarities instead of differences. If I had a 'like' button for the topic of compassion, I'd use it right now. Compassion is the most important trait in a person to me.



If I were to live in a different life than my own for 30 days, what would I do? What would YOU do? I wouldn't want to stop at just one project, so let's just pretend the list wouldn't stop at the following few choices of mine. I would live without sight, live without sound, live in a wheelchair, be an asthmatic, and live without electricity. Simple, but it's easy to take these things for granted. The word admiration doesn't fully express what I have for folks who are not able to stop this way of living after 30 days. I am truly inspired by those who live with the things that most neglect thinking of living without.

While in a ridiculously busy Trader Joe's today, I witnessed a TJ's employee shopping alongside, list in hand, a man with no sight. The communication between the two of them was quite amazing, especially in such a crowded and small-aisled space. One could sense the pride of this TJ's employee while politely stepping through the crowd and maneuvering himself around others to get to this man's groceries. I loved overhearing their conversation. Hummus came up a few times - don't forget the hummus, the man said. Being witness to this reminded me of the many times I helped a blind woman pick out jewelry... for herself. Her name was Marcia and she often shopped for jewelry, and wore a lot of it as well. Her favorite word was opalescence, and this must have been a benchmark description that she knew looked great on her, because nearly every piece I would hand her to fondle, she would ask about its opalescence. I would describe the shape and color, referring to the color not just by its name but also by comparing it to objects, nature, and temperature. She would often pick out and speak of other traits about a piece that I wouldn't have noticed, just by feeling it. It was incredible! I was so impressed with her style of shopping and always felt so fortunate to be a part of her discovery.

Here is to living with recognition and appreciation for what we have. In this moment, everything I need is right here in front of me.. and I am SO thankful.

xo
Sara

No comments: